Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Making and Selling of Books

It's tough to break the 30-day habit of posting about the Making and Selling of Books. It's a great topic, and I always have plenty to say.

I'll get personal. The novel I've been working on is now done and gone to the copy editor, which means soon I'll be able to announce a cover and a release day.  Very exciting!

Today, a writing day, I prepare to begin a new draft. Very nervewracking! I write my first drafts in longhand. I have the paper ready, the pens, the time blocked out to start. A new beginning!

And it seems rather appropriate that the day I begin a new novel that Farm Girl, my first book, is being offered free on the Kindle today through Sunday.

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Girl-ebook/dp/B006IGV3KG
Go here to get it!


If you have a Kindle and don't have Farm Girl:

28 comments:

  1. I like to write in longhand, although I'm no faster writing than I am typing.
    Hope you move a lot of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to write in longhand too. Especially when I'm stuck.
    Congrats on another book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just downloaded Farm Girl (free) on to my Kindle from Amazon UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you sell a lot of books. I do all of my drafting on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is about ready for some serious writing. I just doubled the size of that stack of paper for her draft. My turn to fix lunch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you write in longhand first - longhand being an artform in itself for me anyway! Yay!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also write longhand - it means I get to curl up on the sofa and my imagination run riot! I love the look of all that paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your newest project. Beginnings are hard, but so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the new one Karen.

    ...........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fresh page - how exciting.

    Longhand would kill me. I scribble notes but that is as far as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen .. I loved farm girl and hope you get many sales - it's an interesting time in American history and your family .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer long hand as well. Good luck and awesome that the book is free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just got your book for my kindle. Can't wait to read it.

    ScribblesFromJenn
    Congratulations on finishing the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just downloaded your book. Look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I write in longhand and at other times I prefer my computer. But I hear that it's easier to make changes and see the text in longhand. I want to try it on my next story.

    Good luck to new beginnings. They mean new perpsectives and a new relationships with characters in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exciting. And look at that binder!

    I used to write in longhand, but it's getting where I can't read my handwriting.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your generosity in sharing what you know - it is much appreciated. As is your friendship and support. Good luck with the new draft - the scariest - and most exciting thing of all, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best of luck with the new draft, and with the one you just sent off with as well! I'm off to download Farm Girl!.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's exciting to be starting something new. My new thing had started to lose some of it's shiny appeal but I think I fixed that :)

    happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 'I'll get personal. The novel I've been working on is now done and gone to the copy editor, which means soon I'll be able to announce a cover and a release day. Very exciting!'

    Thrilled for you, Karen! This is, indeed, very exciting.

    Btw, I absolutely love your banner. A feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck with your new project. That is so exciting that your other book will be released soon. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm going to Tweet this....I really enjoyed Farm Girl. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just downloaded Farm Girl. :) Congratulations on your new book and good luck with your plunge into another story. The first few pages and the last few pages are the most exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the new book. I love the picture on the cover of Farm Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck with your new project! I have read Farm Girl, and really enjoyed the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  26. An exciting time. Best of luck. I understand the appeal of longhand - right up to the point I want to cut and paste ...

    ReplyDelete