Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Lucky 7 Meme

I was the recipient of The Lucky 7 Meme, tagged by Suzanne Drazic at Putting Words Down on Paper.  I don't usually do tags or memes or awards anymore but this one intrigued me. It's a meme for writers to showcase your latest manuscript.  Mine is from "Lighting Candles in the Snow," to be released later this year by WiDo Publishing.

Lucky 7 Meme Rules:
1. Go to page 77 of your current manuscript.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy the next 7 lines (sentences or paragraphs) and post them as they're written.  No cheating!
4. Tag 7 other writers to pass this meme on to.

My manuscript Excerpt: 

“Who’s talking about a precious career? That’s all you care about these days. The novel. The agent. The advance. The launch. The royalties. God, Jeremy! I am sick to death of hearing about your stupid novel! You say all I care about is my career? I can’t believe I’m hearing this.”
It was a Saturday afternoon, the day I liked to catch up on household tasks like laundry, shopping, cleaning, the usual errand-running merry-go-round; and Jeremy liked to take off and go write, leaving all the menial tasks to me. The rising star of Jeremy London, novelist, couldn’t be bothered with picking up dry cleaning. Not when he had “revisions to do.” I gave up my Saturday for this?
 (For a sneak peek at the opening chapter of this novel, see my website.)

Writers I'm Tagging:

Milo James Fowler 
Theresa Milstein

Have fun with it!


23 comments:

  1. Thanks for tagging me. I'll have to find that page on my latest manuscript and post it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun excerpt! Love the voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like it. and i like your new blog header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh that sounds like my life, but I'm Jeremy--sort of. But I still do laundry, and cook, and drive kids around. Why can't I be Jeremy and get out of all of that? It sure would move things along faster. :)

    Thanks for the tag, I'll get this up as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad Jeremy!!! :-)

    Thanks for sharing this excerpt here - really enjoyed reading it!! More please! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, do *I* act like Jeremy? I hope not!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did this a while ago...it was fun. You have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a great "encourager" of writers, and I have given you the "One Lovely Blog" award, and besides being part of the hosting team for A-Z. www.castlepinesnorth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tag! But I haven't reached page 77 yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great excerpt! I'm so glad you decided to participate in the Lucky 7 Meme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like my wife and I hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your excerpt. This is a great meme.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great excerpt! Congrats on your book launch and wishing you success.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice twist on the tagging thing. Seems like there's a lot of that going on right now. Maybe the A-Z prompted it. Who creates all the awards?
    Nice excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this meme! Loved your #77/#7, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great excerpt. I think my kids can relate to this when I'm busy trying to revise and meet deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen!
    Thanks for NOT tagging me!
    I liked your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great excerpt! Writers are such a pain to be around, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice tidbit! It's funny how much writers/authors turn out to be book characters, isn't it? Butt hem who better to write them than us?

    Hope everything is going well for you, Karen!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't understand much about tagging but I want to say I love the picture you chose. A nice sunny spot to lie down and write.

    ReplyDelete