Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Friday, July 20, 2012

Angel Wings and Fairy Dust

This moment is like seeing the first robin of spring, like getting the first peek at your newborn, like kissing your husband after the wedding vows are spoken. And I can't wait to share it with you! (the book not my husband)

To be released September 18, contemporary women's fiction, Lighting Candles in the Snow (WiDo Publishing):


 Summary:

Newly divorced Karoline London needs to heal and find her normal again, as older sister Suzie keeps reminding her. But what does Suzie know about divorce? She has the perfect husband and seven gorgeous children, while Karoline had six years married to a man tormented by addictions.

When Karoline meets handsome Zac Kline, things just might be looking up. Until she learns about a tragic event in ex-husband Jeremy’s childhood that explains old complications, while creating new ones–complications that threaten to further obstruct Karoline’s difficult path back to herself.

Lighting Candles in the Snow is a novel of hope and redemption, about new beginnings and fresh starts. It is about the weak finding courage, and how shared grief in times of loss can create unbreakable bonds within families.

And to celebrate, there are ARCs available! They'll be going out first to advance reviewers, but by the first of September ARC's will also be available to interested readers. Mobi for the Kindle, pdf. for Nook and computer, and a limited number of print books.

Let me know if you would like an ARC! I'd love nothing more than for my blog followers to get first crack at this novel. It's a departure from my previous books, not at all autobiographical-- it's grittier and has some language, violence and sexual situations because of the nature of the themes. Nothing graphic but compared to my other books, there's a real difference.

I imagine there are readers who liked Farm Girl and my Diamond novels who will dislike this one, and vice versa. It's a little nerve wracking to wonder if you will alienate your demographic but this is the novel that came out of me last June, when I was doing BuNoWriMo and spent 12 hours in the passenger seat of a car driving across Wyoming.

When I got back home and reread the first draft, I realized it was completely different than what I'd set out to write. But I loved it. And I loved the process of revising it this past year to polish and get the story and characters portrayed exactly as they wanted to be told.

Writing this novel was the most amazing experience, and I am hoping the wonderful angel on the cover (photography by Tracy Jo Blowers and design by Lisa Marek) will bring good fortune to everyone who was part of the creation of Lighting Candles in the Snow.

33 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Karen! And only two months away. Sorry, didn't mean to scare you with that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds wonderful. Congrats.

    Glad you clarified about the husband. I almost got giddy. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Karen! Really happy for you! The cover is awesome, and the summary is very enticing. Love that you're taking your writing in a grittier direction. Not because it needed to or anything, but because I enjoy those types of stories more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E.J., Funny thing, is those are the types of stories I enjoy more, too :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, Karen, this is so great. I'm looking forward to reading it. I may be getting a Kindle so it will be easier for me to read my blogger friends' books. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun, and so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very best of luck with the book! It sounds like a good read...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Congrats on your new book, and YAY for Tracy! LOVE that cover~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks perfect and utterly gorgeous - Tracy Jo is wonderful!! Well done you for daring to share your talent to a whole new demographic!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an exquisite cover and I just love the title, Karen. Hallelujah!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have an arc but only if it's available in e-format. Do you have one in PDF or Kindle format?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarissa, Mobi for Kindle, sure! I'll see that you get one.

      Delete
  12. I'm excited for you, Karen! Can you send me a print ARC?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's wonderful, Karen! Love that cover. I'm sure it's going to be a great success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! :)

    I really like the cover and blurb for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful for you! To see your book in print...that is fantastic! I hope it's very successful and ALL your readers love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Three cheers for your novel. I have an understanding of there your MC is coming from, not the addictions, but certainly the divorce aspect.

    Wishing you the best with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done, Karen! Hope you have a great run with this.

    Book reviewing is something I'm adding as an element on my "Chrome" blog. I'll be doing my first this coming week. If you could eventually send me an arc copy that I can read on my Mac computer, I'll do a review.

    Pls. & thnx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to, Rob. And good move to add book reviewing on your blog! There are not enough online book reviewers, I can tell you that. We have tons of writers online, and we writers need tons of reviewers!

      Delete
  18. I'd love to read an ARC. Gorgeous cover, btw. Congratulations on the release of another book, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds awesome! I'd love to get an ARC in mobi format. And the cover is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cover and title. The book sounds GREAT! Congrats and would love an ARC. If not it will be on my to read list for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic cover! Great news, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! I love it all . . . except . . . aren't you being a tad selfish? Sharing only your book and not your husband? :-)

    Congratulations on this major achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the cover and the blurb. I'll buy a copy when it's out :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. sounds like a great book, looking forward to getting a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic, Karen! What a wonderful cover - so evocative. Congrats on your new baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karen, sounds like a great read! Love the cover:).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eek, how can I not want an ARC?

    Congratulations on your release!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love an ARC if one is available and I'll be happy to review it on my blog as well. I'll also post a piccie along with other author books that have come out. Can it be bought on Amazon ? B&N? I usually try to link the pic to a place to buy :)

    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete