Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Boom Boom Boom

I've not really been on a blog-cation, more like a life-cation-- yep, that's when life takes over social media for a time. hehe. Came back today and noticed announcements for my blogging friend Carol Kilgore's new release. Exciting things happening Under the Tiki Hut! Yay Carol! This one's going on my to-read list.

I get frustrated trying to keep up with everybody's books and stuff. After three years blogging with other writers, progress happens and people get contracts, or agents, or make new decisions about how to get their books out there and the books come faster than I can follow.

This speed of publishing (ha, whoever thought we'd see speed and publishing in the same sentence) is a new trend. Compared to the old days, it is super warp speed. More books coming out faster boom boom boom.

How to keep up with it all? How to find one's audience in the midst of this publishing boom? How to stand out above the crowd and get noticed? That's a lot of pressure on authors as well as publishers and everyone in the industry.

As my own new novel is preparing for release in September I think about it. When I'm writing I don't think about it, except as a general concept. But then it comes time to put your own baby out there, it's no longer general but extremely personal.

I feel a headache coming on.

20 comments:

  1. It must be nice for people who know when their book is going to come out. I have no idea when my publisher is going to chuck mine on Amazon. Sort of ties my hands marketing-wise that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the pressure!
    And I have so many unread books on my iPad. Really hard to get to them when I'm also trying to write my next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep breath!! Yay for Carol and yay for you but I do understand how it's so easy to be overwhelmed when all the writerly blogs are erm... well, writing books and publishing!
    LOL!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even keep up with blogs let alone books. A couple of strong celebrity endorsements would be nice. Now how to do that? Good luck with the upcoming release.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the revolution of people going to things like self-publishing and independent publishing is making things happen alot sooner. I've actually had so many people tell me that they read Indie books just for the fact that they don't need to wait a year for a new book. Of course this puts the pressure on me to try and get good, quality books out to the masses in a timely manner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's difficult and challenging to keep up with everyone. I try though. It's the only way I feel I can pay back what I've taken from the writing community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you. I find it hard to keep up with all the books coming out. Especially because we follow so many beginner writers. However, I take it one book at a time and focus on my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a sl-o-o-o-w reader the number of books I want to read (and even purchase) and the many more I can’t get to overwhelms me also. But I just finished your second, (Uncut Diamonds) and Brava, Karen. Beautifully written. So that's my way of cheering you on to the finish-line of whatever you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mirka. Nothing inspires me more than a comment like that :) I got a couple recent really positive reviews on my two diamonds novels too, which is like fuel to the fire.

      Delete
  9. I know; all my friends are publishing their books, and I feel like I can either read everything, or write. Or blog :) Too many choices.

    I have to go save your July 2 post for later reading.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, And writing should be the first priority if we are to call ourselves writers.

      Delete
  10. ...I agree, definitely tough to keep up at times. Perhaps when one finds themselves cutting out their own writing in order to socialize with peers, its time for restructure. Of course in my case, there's barely enough time for either at the moment ;)

    El

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elliot, I've found myself struggling to keep up with what I was doing easily a couple years ago with blogging. I wonder if it's just me or a widespread trend?

      Delete
  11. This is a GREAT question, but I think it kind of always was out there, right? I mean, are there really MORE books... Hmm... I guess there are b/c we all keep writing them. But finding a way to stand out is always the million dollar question.

    However you answer it, BEST of luck to you~ :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I know there are more books I want to read! And I'm hearing about way more being online than I ever did by checking reviews in the local newspaper. I LOVE the new publishing climate, even though it does feel overwhelming at times!

      Delete
  12. Like you, I suffer from information overload. Sometimes I feel bad if I miss someone I follow regularly, but eventually I get to them--even if it's a year or more down the road. One book at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you there Karen. I want to support all my blogger friends but it is difficult to keep up and no doubt I miss some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have loads of unread books. I agree with Alex. It's hard to get to everything when you have your own work to worry about at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Somehow you manage to keep your energy level up and multi-task like crazy! I wish I could do that...

    ReplyDelete