Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Defining Your Author Brand

Despite my recurring online anxiety, I'm convinced that more fully articulating and utilizing my author brand will give me more clarity about my social media activities. What about you? Have you thought about author "branding"?

The following is part of a post written by the new CeleryTree administrator:

"The idea is that an author must make his or her mark within a specific niche, and expend promotional efforts on trying to make potential readers identify with this brand.  Just as Stephen King is known for his horror novels and Nicholas Sparks is known for tearjerker romance, this idea requires that a writer find his place and stay with it.  The writer must ensure that blog, website and column writing, along with any interviews, stays within the image that a reader should have of him. This has numerous advantages, particularly for genre authors.  Fans of the author know what to expect, and the for the author, promotional time and energy can be more focused and direct. Ultimately, an author's name becomes linked with their niche in the reader's mind."

Author branding can make the most of our precious social media time. Head over to the CeleryTree post for more information on this timely topic.

And if you are a CeleryTree member, you can get free assistance in defining your author brand!

15 comments:

  1. Great - everyone now thinks I'm a science fiction writer with clones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Spunk On A Stick, which covers it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been considering this. I have a couple of things I'm working on, one of them a bit darker than the other, though both have leanings toward dystopian/apocalyptic themes. I've been wondering if the theme would work better for me so it can allow me leverage to add a few elements of things to it but still keep it "centrally thematic" and focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loath to declare a niche genre as I plan to write under my own name and in as many types of fiction as I can. I don't want to limit myself to just one genre or use a pen name. That probably sounds silly, but while I am published in erotica, I have written straight historicals, a hardcore sci fi and a horror tale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Karen,

    I definitely see the pluses in doing this. However, I have TWO VERY DIFFERENT writing styles (m/g, y/a fantasy and y/a edgy contemporary). So I most likely will use a pen name for one of them. I don't think fantasy books geared toward children will mix well with my "dark/edgy" side.

    SO what would you suggest then? Have two different blogs/platforms? Starting over with a pen named blog would be SO much work. I can barely keep up with the one I have... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I'll work with you on this even though you aren't (yet) a member of CeleryTree because I like you and it will be good practice to experiment on a live person bwa ha ha.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Karen,

      I will look forward to it.

      Delete
  6. I think that author brand is important in having a message that is consistent and that readers identify with. It doesn't necessarily mean keeping to the same genre although it might. It definitely helps in promotional efforts and social media.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to be seen as an urban fantasy author. It's such a fun and diverse genre. I have a few ideas which are more in a light science fiction area, but I've definitely found the niche in which I'm most comfortable and enjoying defining myself as such.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned something new today :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm...I think that might be something I need to work on.
    Will check out the Celery Tree post! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My problem is that I chat too much to maintain anything other than the image of a chatty woman. Note to self: brush up on image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosalind, This makes me smile. And what's wrong with the image of a chatty woman? That is unless you are writing suspense thrillers about serial killers. If you write cozy mysteries, or feel-good women's genre fiction like "The Quilts of Lancaster County," then your image is ideal!

      Delete
  11. That's a very good idea. I've been trying to brand myself as a children's author who specializes in parenting issues. That works, but I'd like to broaden my horizens and write middle grade novels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen .. I need to be reminded about Celery Tree and get that side of my life sorted out .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete