Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Saturday, August 4, 2012

No pre-release anxiety but I really hate my hair

My novel, Lighting Candles in the Snow, is set to be released next month, September 18. And I've been taking it very well. Hadn't noticed any undue anxiety or stress related to the final stages. My reviews will be mixed, some great, others not so much. Sales will be fine. Not fantastic but okay. The usual. Why worry? After all, it's my fourth book, and I know what to expect.

Yet I've noticed an excess of stress over all kinds of other things. I won't bore you by telling you the details of my anxiety-prone routine except to say that this morning it all became clear. I am transferring! My unconscious self is playing little tricks, making me feel uneasy over little meaningless things while the really BIG thing, a new novel coming out, remains untouched and pristine in its anticipation.

Because I am super-excited about this novel. I love the cover! It is perfect. The photographer and designer did an absolutely fantastic job, and it accurately reflects the tone and themes of the story. When I think of its release, I feel only joy. No anxiety. Weird and quite unlike me.

This one feels special to me. Maybe it's the angel on the cover. Maybe it's because the writing of it came so quickly and without confusion. Maybe how the characters took over the page and helped me tell their story.

Unlike my previous works, Candles is not autobiographical. (My husband wants me to make sure everyone who knows us understands this.) And when I began, I was concerned that I could cut out a 65K word novel from the whole cloth of my imagination.

I feel euphoric when I realize: I did it! I finished the novel-writing Olympics and whether it's a gold-medal winner or just the unlikely little guy crossing the finish line, what matters is that I showed up and finished and now here it is. Soon to be released!

Now to do something about my hair. Because it is really stressing me out.

40 comments:

  1. Omg congrats!! How are you publishing? Traditional or indie? Love the cover, by the way. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, Thank you! And I'm publishing traditional :)

      Delete
  2. Your post title made me laugh. I'm glad you're so pleased with the novel; and I'm sure your hair looks lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, having a book about to be released is something to be happy about. If you're a worrier, then the brain will find something to concentrate on, maybe that accounts for the hair?

    Everyone has a bad hair day now and then, but not everyone has a book coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy for you and quite an accomplishment. This comes from a writer who cannot write fiction if her life depended on it.Do get the hairdo. You'll feel like a new woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I've been putting off making the appointment but must do it this week!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Wishing you every success with many, many sales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen:
    How exciting. I know about all those stupid upstart stress our minds create. Hope yours will flutter away.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, congratulations! That is great to hear. I'm sure your book will be great (can't wait to read it). Funny post Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! You knew you had it in you. And I know the awesome designer who did the cover and she rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, She does indeed rock. Tracy Jo is talented, nice, generous and basically an all around great person to know and have as a friend.

      Delete
  9. Yay, Karen! This is tremendous. I like the cover and the title also. Like a good title- it's evocative, not telling the story. I'm eager to read it. Almost done with your third, (excellent) and will remind myself that *this time* the characters are not you-know-who.
    Now really, go do something about the hair thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirka, I am just honored that you have read my books and like them. I hope Candles doesn't disappoint!

      Delete
  10. I am in awe of you releasing your fourth book. That's something special, Karen. Don't even worry about your hair—it looks great in all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Karen! It must be very exciting to be releasing your new book, and I think the fact that you've enjoyed this book just means that it will be all that much greater! Best of luck to you. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Karen. And you are right, the cover draws your attention and makes you want to know what's inside. I read Farm Girl and loved it, so I know how well you can write. I guess now all you need to do is getting that hair under control. I wish you all the best with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. You do have a beautiful cover and I am excited to read your new book. As for you hair, you can always wear a hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post. It is so true how our mind plays those little tricks on us. The Hair-O-Meter. :-) You did make it to the finish line which is HUGE and I have faith that this angel is going for gold! Thank you for the kind words and I am proud to be a little part of this journey. Can't wait for the launch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy Jo, "I have faith that this angel is going for gold!" Love this.

      Delete
  15. That cover is amazing! Good luck with the new relase.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You, and we, are coming to the conclusion of a challenging project. You've done it; all we have to do is wait for it.

    One that puzzles me about the cover. It looks like the angel is literally being bowled over. Should we read something into that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I think of it as the angel crying, but maybe you'll be bowled over when you read it :)

      Delete
  17. Can't wait to read it, Karen! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you everyone for your support and enthusiasm. It means the world to me. THIS is why I keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how calm you are about your book. It shows you know you have a really great book. Enjoy that feeling. Congratulations on its release! And don't worry about your hair. Mine annoys me evey day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Karen! Congratulations! How did I miss that your fourth, FOURTH(!), book was to be released next month? I've been so out of the blogging loop. Good luck with everything leading up to your release date.

    And there's nothing like someone washing and cutting your hair - it's so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very well done! And the best of luck on your release... Your post is full of excitement and enthusiasm, I'm sure the book will do well. And I DO like the cover art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL! This post is so true. When you have a big stressor on the horizon, all the little ones are magnified.

    Congrats on the Big One. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Karen! CONGRATS!

    You changed your blog header, didn't you? I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, Changed my header, keep changing the colors, can't decide! Looks like I'm sticking with the blue. But it will probably be pink tomorrow :)

      Delete
  24. Congrats to you! To have written four books is amazing! The cover is beautiful and intriguing. I can relate to hating hair - I wish hair didn't grow. I'd love to just have a style that doesn't have to be maintained!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats, Karen. Lighting Candles in the Snow sounds good. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is always that one book that is just special and comes together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's good to focus on something you can control, like the hair! You obviously have great anxiety coping skills, Karen. Congrats on your book and here's to a wonderful release!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on the book! I did smile at your post, I stripped novel one, made a tweak to the cover, and started afresh. I have taken control of my eating habits, and am not stressing over novel two.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on your book! :) Glad to hear you feel so confident in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on your pending release. Lovely cover art!!! Sometimes I like to go to the salon and give the hairstylist free reign. I feel like a new woman!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Karen .. it does irritate me - I'm sure I commented at home on this post .. but it's not showing -

    irritations .. love the cover though and am looking forward to reading House of Diamonds first ... perhaps I have time now .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations! I have a compulsive urge to clean when I'm nervous or upset or anxious about anything. I think my husband has learned to take a step back when I'm in cleaning mode.

    ReplyDelete