Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What Sets a Manuscript Apart

When Amy Saia entered her manuscript to submissions@widopublishing.com, her work was so compelling and beautifully written that it got attention and a request to resubmit.

Let me explain something about an editor's request to rewrite and resubmit. Parts of a manuscript might be very good and others problematic. Especially with a debut author, the editor needs to see that the writer has the skills, because you don't want to get deep into it with a contract on the line and a release date looming and find out that the writer can't fix what's wrong.

Anyway, all this leads up to the end result that Amy's revised manuscript was accepted by WiDo for publication and TODAY IS THE RELEASE DATE!!!!


To give you a sample of Amy Saia's lyrical writing style:

   My father was Colorado. He was white, snow-packed ridges and aspen-threaded valleys. He was pine and soft clouds across a pale blue sky. He was granite and crystal gushing rivers and columbine blooming over a hillside. He knew the way of the bear, and how not to get caught on the wrong path after they've come out of their caves in the spring, babies hobbling close. He was the epitome of organic, beautiful earth.
   My father was my best friend.
   My mother, however....
   It was a hot day in Colorado Springs, June 1979, when I stood watching her shove everything into the station wagon with her big Audrey Hepburn sunglasses pulled down over her eyes. We were going to leave--like it had never happened, like he had never existed.

Are you sucked in? This book is a fabulous read, you will love it! I did and I don't usually enjoy YA, especially not YA paranormal romance, but I relished Amy's voice that enhanced her story and elevated it above the usual. She does indeed have the skills.

And like everyone who reads this, I weighed the options between William and Jesse, and had to cast my vote. If you read it and write a review, be sure to share which boy you liked better, and which one you wanted Emma to end up with!

Vital information:

The Goodreads link to add to your to-read list.

The Soul Seekers book page on the publisher website, where for a limited time you can get the print copy at a pre-release special price.

To download on your Kindle.

To download on your Nook.

Happy reading! And congratulations to Amy Saia, who worked extremely hard to make this book awesome!

43 comments:

  1. Powerful writing. Congratulations, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three cheers for Amy!

    That was, indeed, a captivating excerpt. So glad it's on my TBR and I should have it loaded to my kindle library VERY soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Amy! Yep, powerful writing there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all started with you offering to read The Soul Seekers after I'd received a very harsh Beta critique. I remember I kept saying, "I love my book, I love my book," and you showed me that really meant something. I am eternally grateful for your help and support through the whole process. And this is such a beautifully written blog! Thank you Karen!! And WiDO : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'm really curious what the critique was now, I'll send you a private email :)

      Delete
  5. Alex, Paul, Angela, Liza- Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Amy Saia (lovely name!!! ). What a dreamy excerpt, thank you! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Kitty, Amy's name matches her cover matches her writing style, and it's even her real one. Lucky!

      Delete
  7. Excellent extract, I'm very keen to read more! Congratulations, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a subjective process, but having a strong beginning helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a captivating intro, Amy! Excellent! And Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! Massive congrats to Amy. I can't wait to read it - adding to my GR now (if I haven't already done so!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is exquisite writing. Wow. I just don't read paranormal. Maybe I should change my mind.
    karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, me either. Paranormal usually isn't my thing but I'm okay with it if it has that something special, like Amy's writing, or a new twist, like a sense of humor. (Twilight didn't have it imho, and it set the standard for today's paranormal which is too bad.)

      Delete
  12. YES! The writing pulled me in. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to Amy! YES it pulled me in evoking all kinds of emotion in a few words.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good writing! Congratulations, Amy. Thanks for sharing, Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ellen, LM, Chris, Talli, Karen, Em-musing, Teresa, Catherine, mshatch- Thank you all for the congratulations and kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to you book, Amy. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to Amy! :) Awesome about the release.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to all who stopped by to congratulate Amy here and on her blog on this special day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy wow - I was sucked in right away! I love her writing. I'm going to order a print copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so right, if that beginning doesn't set the hook, it can't be set! It sounds very good...

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds absolutely amazing! Congratulations to Amy :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That really is a gorgeous excerpt! I put it on my TBR list! Thanks, Karen~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bought it yesterday morning and finished it last night, and just put up a post about it (and am heading to Amazon to leave a review there). Praises to all of you. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow great excerpt--i love the audrey hepburn reference!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats to Amy! And I loved your explanation of why an editor would ask for a re-write and re-submit. Probably the most clearly stated and honest I've read on the topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. ooh, lovely style! Huge congrats to Amy - I'm off to add it to my list
    Hello Karen :)
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  27. You knew dag-gone well that sample would draw us in. You're diabolical. I do like her description of her dad.

    Good info on editor's request for rewrites. How an writer handles critiques and rewrites determines whether an editor can work with them. God forbid you get a prima dona for a client.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Karen .. congratulations to Amy - I love the cover of her book .. and the fact that WiDo is publishing .. then her writing as you say - does pull you in .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary!!! So happy to see that you were able to comment without disappearing or going to spam!

      Delete
  29. Wow! That is compelling writing. i'll have to add this one to the list. And send her a congrats! thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Terrific excerpt!

    Congrats Amy,

    You certainly do have a way with lyrical writing. It's my favorite kind. Good luck!


    Thanks Karen for sharing this bright new author!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a great sample! Thanks for sharing and congrats to Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I could actually SMELL her father. Great intro and thanks Karen for sharing more about the process. Everytime, and I mean everytime...I read your blog, I learn more about writing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're right! It's so exciting to start reading something that has a compelling voice.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats Amy! I can't wait to read it even more now thanks to that wonderful excerpt!

    ReplyDelete