Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Monday, December 3, 2012

Reaching Readers


Recently, Shauna over at the CeleryTree blog posted about writing to your audience. This post really impacted me as it's something I've been analyzing recently with my blog and website.

Shauna (a former TV news producer) writes:

"Write for the audience who will buy your books. Seems simple, right?  In media, it's called targeting your key demographic.  Find out who your audience is, and then write in a way that those people will find compelling. A few questions to get you thinking about your audience: 

"Do you know who is reading your blog?  And perusing your Facebook page?  And following you on Twitter?  Are you writing for your readers, or just writing for other authors?"   

As authors who blog, we know who our book's audience is, and guess what? It's the same people we should be thinking about as write our posts! Go here to read the full post on knowing your audience.

19 comments:

  1. This is why I have an author blog which is keyed into the back of my book. I target those readers with that blog. My Piedmont Writer blog is for writers (more or less). Yes, knowing your demographic is imperative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ' Are you writing for your readers, or just writing for other authors?' Really brilliant, and an excellent question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen .. I keep my commenters/blog readers in mind when I write up my posts .. and I hope to get a bit more into the vogue for this as time progresses.

    So many people forget this - a very useful lesson to remember .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was told when I began blogging not to follow only authors but to find my target audience. Don't know how well I've done that, but I've tried!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess this relates to those authors who say they wrote their books because they were looking for a specific kind of story and hadn't found it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to think quirky people with eclectic tastes target me! LOL!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me think about what I was doing or not doing. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it should be so obvious, yes? But I guess we still need to be told these things sometimes. I know I do--LOL! Thanks, Karen~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is right - but have no idea who reads my work - if there is a demographic that I should keep in mind. (Oh heck, something else I ought to think about - but I know you're right!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I'm your demographic! Your blog posts are right on. And your book is on my tbr list.

      Delete
  10. Thank you Karen, this is right of course. I look back to when I first started writing on my blog, and have to laugh at my early attempts. I was amazed that many people were interested enough to read, and then I was surprised and extremely happy to receive comments. I have grown in the past two years and enjoy my followers very, very much. Ain't life just grande, Eh, as Granny would say. Gee, this is just too much fun. Take care and I enjoy your posts sooo much. Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, a writer should know his/her audience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the story needs to come first - then the marketing. I'm probablly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely! I read an article the other day about one author's experiences in this. The two books he'd written with a particular audience in mind, keeping to the storytelling guidelines for the genre, sold over 2,000 and 1,000 copies, respectively.

    The ones he wrote just from his own passion or interest barely made it into triple figures. Some didn't even manage to get past 50.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an important part of our effort as writers. Thanks, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, interesting comments here and I can see where it can be taken both ways but Shauna's post is regarding the audience for our blogs. What demographic our posts are geared to-- meaning they should be geared to the same audience that is reading our books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made a mistake when I started my blog and aimed it at other writers. Writing is my passion and so it's easy to write about writing. I have no idea how to change the aim to target my readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, I think a lot of us did this, because it was a ready and eager audience. No real harm done since writers love to read, as long as you keep your own genre & demographic in mind as you post to those readers (or writers.)

      Delete