Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Friday, February 1, 2013

And who doesn't love the Brontes?

A haunted family of writers, living far out on the foggy, craggy moor-- People have been obsessed with the Brontes for years, and time doesn't seem to dim the attraction.

WiDo Publishing recently released an amazing novel by debut author Aviva Orr, The Mist on Bronte Moor: a YA time travel about a London girl who finds herself house guest of the Bronte family.

And check out this intriguing cover! So yummy! Makes me want to curl up by the fire with a cup of tea and plate of scones. And when I finish Aviva's book, I'll go bake some more scones and dig into Wuthering Heights!



When fifteen-year-old Heather Jane Bell is diagnosed with alopecia and her hair starts falling out in clumps, she wants nothing more than to escape her home in London and disappear off the face of the earth.

Heather gets her wish when her concerned parents send her to stay with a great-aunt in West Yorkshire. But shortly after she arrives, Heather becomes lost on the moors and is swept through the mist back to the year 1833. There she encounters fifteen-year-old Emily Bronte and is given refuge in the Bronte Parsonage.

Unaware of her host family’s genius and future fame, Heather struggles to cope with alopecia amongst strangers in a world foreign to her. While Heather finds comfort and strength in her growing friendship with Emily and in the embrace of the close-knit Bronte family, her emotions are stretched to the limit when she falls for Emily’s brilliant but troubled brother, Branwell.

Will Heather find her way back to the comforts and conveniences of the twenty-first century? Or will destiny keep her in the harsh world of nineteenth-century Haworth?

The Mist on Bronte Moor is available at the following locations:

WiDo Publishing website
Amazon
Barnes and Noble 
Powell's Books
IndieBound
The Book Depository

And for more Bronte love and information, visit Aviva Orr at her website avivaorr.com, where she posts regularly about all things Bronte.

32 comments:

  1. This is the first I'm hearing of a Bronte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Bronte fan - too much in-depth study of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights at school ruined them for me. But I love the premise of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love the Brontes!!! Jane Eyre still makes me weep, Wuthering Heights continues to send shivers up my spine and Tenant of Wildfell Hall... well what can I say!

    All the best to Aviva! Poor Heather falling for tortured Bramwell!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting book and a haunting cover. Bramwell was OK but if I had to choose a tortured man, my choice has always been the dark, somber Gypsy, Heathcliff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning cover and very intriguing premise!

    LOVE Classic gothic British novels and the Bronte's are THE best at it!

    Have a great weekend Karen....


    YUM scones! YOU back those too?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, Yes, I have a wonderful oat scone recipe-- baked not fried-- that I intend to post on my website later this month.

      Delete
  6. Oh, my... I recently saw this book and added it to me TBR list. I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the book! Aviva's writing is amazing. What a great debut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought it, and highly recommend it. (I'm way behind in reviews, but don't give up on me; I WILL get one posted.) I love the characters. The plotting is excellent, the "backward in time" superbly handled. Way to go Aviva, and Wido Publishing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That sounds like a great book! Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen .. I've seen this elsewhere - but you're right the book does entice one in .. and I see Ann recommends it - I'll be buying it .. congrats to Aviva and to WiDo ...

    cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your positive comments! The Mist on Bronte Moor truly is a wonderful book. Aviva did an excellent job on it. It's really nice to see a YA book come out that is something a little different and hopefully encourages girls to learn more about the intriguing Bronte family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so happy for Aviva Orr. I feel like shouting VIVA AVIVA!
    Book's on my list to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool cover, and intriguing story line. Gotta get it. Am between books, and need something unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty cover! This sounds great, and a step away from my usual contemps - I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great cover can lure me in. And I admit it. I swoon over the whole Bronte mystique of misty moors and brooding men. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a soft spot for time traveling tales and that cover is quite pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Bronte. And this book sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jane Eyre is one of my favourite ever books - I just love the Brontes. 'The Mist on the Bronte Moor' looks intriguing, must check it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boy, that sure sounds like an interesting read! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read this book, and fell in love with all of the characters and the setting. I can't wait to get it in paperback so I can let my kids read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember reading The Bronte's in school and fell in love with the family - have many or all in my Library and always fun to re-read.
    The cover is enchanting and what a twist to have young Heather lost on the moors and swept back in time - sounds intriguing to me.
    Looking forward to your post on your scons. lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like an awesome book! And I do love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Karen, how generous you are to feature reviews of books that have been self-published or published by smaller presses. You are a read friend to all of us who are struggling writers. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh, WOW! I DO love the Brontes! This is totally on my list! Thanks, Karen~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. It has an awesome cover and sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds very interesting. Not only does it mix in time-travel, but also gives the teenage protagonist a very real problem (alopecia). Ta for sharing, Karen!

    ReplyDelete