Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Friday, March 8, 2013

Money Issues

Recently someone asked me how I dealt with economic pressures through the years of raising a large family on not a large income. I consulted Money Horse, and we came up with twelve tips to help one cope with financial challenges . . . . continue reading

9 comments:

  1. I love people talking about not living out of their means! It's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful advice, Karen, but so difficult to follow, even for those of us with a strong faith. Number 3 is perhaps the most difficult, rather like Tithing. I am certain it works.

    My rule is to ensure that:
    Income must always exceed expenditure

    and my dear Grandmother used to say:
    "He who goes borrowing, goes sorrowing!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie, It is very difficult to follow! I'm good at some of them, horrible at others. And I agree that #3 is a really tough one. I tried it once with a jar of peanut butter because we were always running out of it, and from then on we had an abundance of peanut butter until the very last child left home. It was like the miracle of the loaves and fishes, only with peanut butter.

      Delete
  3. I know I could manage with small value stuff - but with larger gifts and very large gifts it would take tremendous faith. Plus, of course, one would have to be very careful of intentions because I would think God would only reward a true gift and I suspect he would not reward someone who gave a sizeable amount of money purely with the intention of getting more back than he/she gave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw I am writing an alternative ending to Macbeth LOL where he refuses to die, McDuff is vivid and Shakespeare is so shocked when he sees the audience cheering for Macbeth that his ghost appears and a dialogue ensues between him and Macbeth where the latter argues that he has a much better ending. LOL Watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen
    This is pretty much how I've always lived. I have never allowed myself to be in debt. It's really easy, just go without.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this, Karen. This topic has been on my mind lately as my wife and I look ahead to childcare arrangements for our girls. I don't know about the States, but in Ireland the single biggest cost in starting a family is childcare. In some cases, full-time childcare for just one child can rival a mortgage payment. For two, it can wipe out an entire person's salary all on its own.

    Thankfully we have managed to find some affordable options.

    I love your list. No. 9 especially speaks to my own beliefs. We are rewarded for love and thankfullness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent, timely tips! Thanks for sharing. # 1 was among my favorite tips.

    ReplyDelete