Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

On Never Giving Up

The experts say that persistence is more essential than talent for the writer to have success. I really believe that. I'm still working on it. There are days I just want to give up. Writing a rough draft can be tortuous. Getting published at times seems impossible. Getting the lousy review when someone trashes your creative work can kill the spirit.

I'm motivated by others who keep going no matter what. One of those writers is Kerri Cuevas. I first got to know her through blogging. She submitted a manuscript to WiDo through one of my submission contests and the acquisitions editor took an interest in it.

Her book Deadly Kisses (WiDo Publishing, 2013) took awhile to get published-- first a rewrite and resubmit, then a long time in editing when her assigned editor left the company part way through, finally to be released in March of this year.

Deadly Kisses, a YA paranormal romance, has gotten rave reviews, such as this one: "... the perfect combination of romance, action and just enough suspense to keep you wondering . . .A well-written YA story by an amazing author." --Reviewing in Chaos

Aiden Grant has a killer kiss. Literally. And it’s not every reaper who gets to work with the Sixteenth President. Sure, Honest Abe likes to throw out history lessons with reaping assignments, but when you’re favored by the ancients, grim reaper life is pretty sweet for a newly dead seventeen-year-old.

Then things get messy.

Aiden is assigned to reap the soul of Bee, the only girl he has ever loved. When Aiden’s kiss of death fails, intertwining their souls, she is still very much alive and they are both in trouble. The ancients want Bee, who has special powers of her own, and they’ll do anything to get her.

Some rules are meant to be broken, even if that means Aiden must bargain with his own soul to save Bee. Who knew the afterlife could get so complicated?


And now Kerri has submitted the sequel to Aiden and Bee's story, and is working on the third in the series. All while taking care of her New Hampshire home and family-- including 3 kids, rabbits, goats, large garden-- along with a super-supportive husband named Carlos. (I know about Carlos because he and Kerri talk to each other in Facebook comments, it's so cute!)

This is a committed writer who is going to make it no matter what. Kerri Cuevas inspires me, and I'm just proud to know her.

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this piece about Kerri, Karen. There are a lot of stumbling blocks on this road, and I think we spend more time picking ourselves up after being knocked down than we care to remember.

    The important thing is to keep getting back up, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paul. I think what inspires me most about Kerri is that she didn't let a slow start for her book sales stop her. She has continued writing when most of us might have gotten discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deadly Kisses is on my to-read list. The concept sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perseverance is one of the keys to success - or maybe that's just plain old stubbornness! Either way, kudos to Kerri for not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this - we all need inspiration to keep us going at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all need people who inspire us in our lives, both creatively and in all other aspects of life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, you're to sweet Karen. Come to NH so I can give you a hug. Giving up just isn't an option, so onward I go. LOL! And Carlos sends a big hello to everyone.

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book! And I know what you mean about persistence. I actually stepped away from my manuscripts for several weeks; I felt stuck and I was worried that I wasn't doing anything right. But if I stop altogether, then I'd never get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had moments when I thought about giving up but I'm on a high now. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right, Karen. Persistence is more important than talent. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great blurb. I'll definitely be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great inspiration - thanks for sharing it :D and I have a nephew named Aiden, even more reason to like the story

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a good book. Will need to check it out and will be sharing it with my 12 year old daughter. It might just catch her interest.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a neat twist with Honest Abe and reapers. Congrats to Kerri!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how much persistence matters, (and I suspect it does, a lot-) but what I'm certain of is that talent matters the most. This is one intriguing book premise, and an inspiring story behind the story. Congratulations, Kerri!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a grandson named Alden :) Thank you for your post on persistence -- a lesson for all of us no matter what our goals are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with your post. The only way you can guarantee failure is to give up. Keep going, Karen. And congrats to Kerri.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Karen, thanks for posting about Kerri and her book. Hers is an inspiring story of the dedication and work necessary to getting a book published in today's publishing world.

    I've been away from reading and commenting on blogs for many weeks now. I'm glad to return and find you still encouraging all of us who want to be published. You're an inspiration. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds wonderful! :) And yes, never quit, just keep after your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like one hell of a book, Karen! And the story behind its publication is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done to Kerri for never giving it! Persistence is definitely key in this industry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Also, giving it a rest, doesn't mean one has given up! Sometimes, "life" and "living" happens, and in turn, that might eventually evoke/spark another WIP. There's always something stewing about in a writers brain on a subconscious leval. But seriously, how many writers can really give it up, even when they say they are? The muse is always sneaking in and out, in our peaks of confidence.

    Nice to see you spreading words of encouragement! :)

    Kerri's book sounds interesting!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete