Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Social Media Disconnect or How Will Our Marriage Ever Survive This??

I like Facebook. My husband on the other hand, takes no part in it. He deleted his Facebook page some years ago when neighborhood kids, friends of our younger sons, wanted to be his "friend." It creeped him out, and he decided to de-activate his account. He didn't want to be that old guy who Facebook friended all the girls and boys in the neighborhood.

So we have this conversation the other day about a post I put up on Facebook in honor of our wedding anniversary:

Me: Did you see what I posted on Facebook about our anniversary?

Him: No. I never go on Facebook. Facebook and me don't get along.

Me: Well you should at least look at my page.

Him: I don't even know how to get to your page.

Me: You click on my author website, find the "F" icon on the sidebar, click it and it will take you right to my personal page.

Him: (saying nothing but looking puzzled and distressed)

Me: That way you can see what I'm up to.

Him: I'd rather just walk into the other room and see what you're up to.

This is what you call social media disconnect, or a failure to communicate through social media. It must be a good thing, since we've lasted 43 years without talking to each other on Facebook. I guess we won't start now. Especially since there's no way he will activate his account.

On our wedding day, August 13, 1970:
(We were not really as young as we look here, like about 14 don't you think? We were actually both 22, felt like we were so grown up and knew everything.)



30 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary!

    My hubby reads my blogs, joined FB and even put a Google alert on me so he could see what I was up to--but then we still live 300 miles apart so it was just one more way to "see" each other.

    PS I know what you mean about your marriage photo. We looked like babies too. No wonder our parents were worried. LOL.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marian, Our parents were worried too LOL.

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary, Karen!
    I'm connected online, but I'll still never have a Facebook account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Happy Anniversary! Y'all look adorable in that picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Karen, this is so so sweet - both the sentiments and the photo. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful photo. You look like the human embodiment of fresh spring daisies, and it well foretells 43 happy years. Facebook is blocked in my house, so I only see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!!!

    And what a gorgeous photo...who needs FB when you have that?!? Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm agreeing with your husband - I don't care for FB either. But, what a great photo of you two. You do look young and beautiful. Happy Anniversary!

    I only see people on blogs, too, by choice. Like anything else, some like FB, some don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 43 years - and no connection on FB. That is something to be truly proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy (belated) Anniversary!

    I'm on Facebook, but I agree with your husband. If you're in the next room, best to walk a few steps to "see what you're up to" right there. Not like our teens, who text each other while sitting side-by-side, chuckling at self-images sent, taking their own photos, then chuckling some more. Lift thine eyes and look at the real thing? Really, Mom. You don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniverary! What a beautiful photo:). 43 years, no Facebook then, and he doesn't need it now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how sweet - happy anniversary! My husband has no interest in social media, either. At least he has my blog bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, you do look like you're 14 - but also exceedingly happy. Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary! (And many moooooore!)

    My hubby actually spends more time on Facebook than I do, but it is a great way to keep track of what's going on with the kids and grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheers to many more happy years, Karen. That is a lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary! And I love your wedding picture; you look so happy and in love. And I hope you don't mind when I say that you look like the actress Leelee Sobieski.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neurotic, I would never mind someone telling me I look like a celebrity LOL. Now I need to google this actress and see who she is.

      Delete
  16. Dear Karen, like your husband, I truly don't understand Facebook. I'm on Facebook--if that is how one says that--but I just don't "get" it.

    We were all twenty-two once. So young and so sure we knew most, if not all, of the answers to life's problems. Now we live mostly in gray areas of problem solving! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary. My husband never uses any social media and has probably never seen my website or blog but it's been working for us for 31 years and still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My wife will have nothing to do with Facebook. I have FB pages, but I rarely go to FB unless someone tags me or something. I have an array of friends including all my kids--it's a good way to keep up with what they're doing.

    Now my mother is even on FB and she loves it. I never dreamed I'd see that day.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, My mom started a FB page when she turned 90!

      Delete
  19. Beautiful beautiful Karen. You are my inspiration. Honest and truly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely photo. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Karen .. lovely story and congratulations on 43 years - great photo too -

    FB will start to become a part of my life sometime soon - I've been avoiding it like the plague!

    Actually it's good to read that people don't like FB and aren't dedicated to it ... I have some friends with kids late teens, who aren't on it .. the kids are I see - but took them a while. It's good to know people still connect by actually talking to each other ... I note your hubby walks into the room to see what you're doing - not asking you??!!! No - that's great to read .. texting each other or whatever when you're in the same vicinity is ridiculous ..

    Cheers - lovely to read and so pleased 43 years has happily clocked up .. happy weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Karen, your husband reminds me of myself -- before I took the plunge into social media this year for my novel. You might want to check out my latest post, Social Media for Dogs, for consolation:

    http://davidkalishauthor.blogspot.com/2013/08/social-media-for-dogs.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww, that's a nice photo! You and your husband sound adorable together. :) (Like him, I deleted my FB account, but I'm active on Twitter to make up for it.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary! That's a cute story too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely photo; great story. Happy anniversary! (We got married in August 1969, about the same age.)

    And while I keep my Facebook account, I keep it mostly for watching what other people are doing.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    desert.epiphanies@sasktel.net
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a charming, sweet wedding photo. Happy anniversary! You are a great testimony to marriage in a world where commitment is not always valued.

    ReplyDelete