Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Monday, November 18, 2013

I am just DYING to link my blog to Google+

Blogger is owned by Google. Google is relentlessly and shamelessly pushing their social media site Google+ on all of us Blogger people. I see the little icons beckoning me to link it up. I can hardly resist anything new but really hesitate linking my blog and G+ profile. I know once done, it can't be undone.

Comments will then go through one's G+ profile, if I understand correctly. Also, the Blogger profile will disappear forever, to be replaced with my G+ profile.

When I comment somewhere I want it to link back to my Blogger profile, not my Google + page. Or at least I think that's what I want...

I enjoy Google+ I really do, but it's nothing special. The home page is what we get everywhere else-- links to blog posts, informational sites, book promos, cover reveals and launch parties, etc etc etc.

But oooh that shiny G+ profile invitation! Not sure how long I can resist.

Get more from Blogger with Google+
Connect your blog to Google+ to reach more readers in new ways. It's quick and free.
Expand your audience
Share to Google+ with one click whenever you publish something new. You'll get a Google+ sharebox pre-loaded with your post, ready to help you reach new readers.
Manage comments in one place
Turn on Google+ Comments to bring comments on your posts together in one place, including posts about your content on Google+.
Find out which of your posts really pop
The +1 counter in your blog's dashboard shows you which posts are popular. You can also see how your Google+ posts are shared with Ripples.
Start conversations with Google+ mentions
Add Google+ mentions to your posts to get someone's attention. Your mention will link to their Google+ page or profile, and you can notify them when you share to Google+.

See what I mean???? It's so new and enticing! Those enthusiastic about Google+ say DO IT, it'll bring more page views, comments, visibility, and all that. But I'm just not sure.

What do you think? Have you linked your blog to your Google+ profile yet? Results, regrets? 

26 comments:

  1. No I haven't. I know a lot of people have problems with the Google+ commenting box and also with having to dig through a Google+ profile trying to find someone's blog. I'll just leave mine as-is until forced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen .. I haven't either, but then I'm not desperately active in social media (that's an understatement - I'm not active at all!) ...

    Personally I hate G+ and as you say each 'page' is similar and then we have to link through again - checking first whether someone has posted themselves or are uploading another link - before perhaps finally getting through to the blog ...

    To me it's just additional work ... and how does everyone have time for it all ...

    Cheers and good luck whichever way you turn!! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I'm pretty sure I will NOT link it. Like Alex, I'll hold out until Blogger forces my hand. But they sure are trying to be persuasive!

      Delete
  3. I did it, then regretted it. But you CAN go back to the blogger profile. I did. Unless they've changed things since I did this. Also, comments still go through blogger, not Google+. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so resisting the urge to go all google plus!! The way I am totally resisting the urge to tweet and FB! Hah!! Resistance is totally futile...!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so that's why I've had trouble leaving comments on Google+ blogs. I can't even find where to comment. No, I won't be doing this any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not having any trouble resisting. I still haven't seen the advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no intention of going the Google+ path until there is no choice. More to the point, I won't comment on blogs that use Google+ because it strips away the online identity I've been using for years and forces you to use your real name. I vehemently resent that choice being stripped from me!

    I went into more detail on that and other issues here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Alex, I've heard too many complaints. I can't find comments or links to blogs on Goodle +. I groan and usually don't comment on those blogs. Every NEW thing isn't always a good thing, but those early adopters will tell everyone it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't know about that info from the Botanist - if they strip one's blogger name, then I'll never join. Where do they get the effrontery? Sorry, just had to add this.

      Delete
  9. I noted that Blogger (and the Google search function) are both still free, in the sense that we don't pay an outright fee to use them. (Of course, Econ 101 is that if it's free *we* are the product, that is- our data) so I do not resent their ways of trying to monetize. They have bills and salaries to pay.
    What bothers me is that the changes, ever relentlessly flooding in, make un-techie me rather confused. I like ease of use, the reason I opted to try Blogger in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I clicked and regretted the upgrade and now I cannot go back. Good heavens, if you are going to offer something great Google+ to people, at least make it great before you send it out. 5 thumbs down on google+ Blogger is "ease of use" - Google+ is a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realize my blogger profile would go away if I used google plus. I haven't signed up for that yet, but I kind of don't want to. I've never been very good with change; I prefer the familiar, even though I know I can't always hold on to it. But I think I'll hold off on signing up for google + for now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am keeping my paws firmly tucked underneath me. I have enough trouble with human technology as it is. Trying to learn something new is much too difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karen! I'm with Alex J. above! I really dislike it. I find no need for it. AND, I hate it when I click on someone's "picture" when they become a follower, or leave a comment, and it takes me to their G+ page. Accckkkk! I have an awful time finding their blog link. I say, "NO!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Google + is a black hole from which there is no return. Do not go over to the Dark Side, Karen. It is damn near impossible to navigate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like the feelings are unanimous-- NO G+ -- or as the Botanist calls it "G minus"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not noticed these before, but I have noticed blogs whose comments section are linked to G+. I find those annoying because there doesn't seem to be a way to ask to be notified of further replies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Join the resistance! I've been tempted from time to time but it all seems so one-way as others have said. Until the day comes when I have no choice, I shall resist G+ too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, It can be hard to resist the latest techie thing but when tempted, I'll go back and re-read all these comments.

      Delete
  18. I decided to link, and now I've read this. Yikes. It IS very difficult to comment when you get whipped over to G+, and like someone above commented, I too have given up trying to figure how to get to the person's blog that I want to comment on. So I was glad to read that Jessica Bell said you can unlink, which I just did. Now I feel much better that my profile is back to Blogger! I'm with all the untechnical bloggers. Thanks for this post, Karen. It saved my sanity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, just to clarify for others who may be reading this: How did you successfully unlink your blog profile from your Google profile?

      Delete
  19. I another one keeping what works.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have not and will not until they make me. I'm really tired of them cramming everything down our throats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know, I see those inviting sentences... but to be honest - don't know exactly what it means, what it is... I'm like the granny who learnt to put on the video but cant/wont tackle the dvd - I'm refusing to move forward on this one :)

    ReplyDelete