Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Saturday, April 4, 2015

"Just Sittin' by the DOCK of the bay, watchin' the tide come in"

Is this song by Glenn Campbell in your head now? I loved that song when it came out in the 1960's. I was a teenager living in landlocked downstate Illinois. Maybe that's why I've always loved water-- a lake, the ocean, rivers, waterfalls, a koi pond-- you name it, if water is involved I want to be near it.


I live a few minute's walk away from Lake Atitlan and nothing relaxes me like "just sittin' by the dock."  Other people in town enjoy it as well and it's a wonderful place to relax and hang out.




The busy vendors will approach with their wares. They are nice, friendly people and will engage in conversation even if you don't buy from them-- a good way to practice your Spanish.

I never get tired of sitting by the dock, because the water is relaxing and there's always something to see, from ducks floating aimlessly to people going places.

And stay by the dock long enough, there's the sunset and the end of another beautiful day along Lake Atitlan.


18 comments:

  1. i dont like to be on the water, cuz i get seasick, but I agree that looking at the water is extremely peaceful. Enjoy the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I do love people watching! And, I do love sitting at the docks when I'm near water. I love the smells, the sounds, just everything about it. Nice post! And, yes, I have that song in my head now. Thanks, I think?? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching the water lap on the shore or the dock. I like people too but nature trumps it for me every time. I'm loving sharing your world these days! Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely pics - and, at the risk of being a pedant, I though Sitting at the Dock of the Bay was Otis Redding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both sang it. I always think of the Glen Campbell version though.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check out the Glen Campbell version - it was Otis Redding who was the backdrop to my early adolescence!

      Delete
    3. I'd always had the Otis Redding version in my head. When I looked it up, I discovered that Glen Campbell is just one of many artists to have covered this great song.
      Lake Atitlan looks beautiful. I do enjoy the pictures you put on your blog.

      Delete
  5. I love that song too. What a great place to spend time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following your posts, Karen, I feel like I'm on a lovely vacation. Thanks for the break~~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. How relaxing! This is so beautiful and just nice to enjoy and take in

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds so relaxing. There are a few places here near the beach that are like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a teen in the Midwest. and the idea of sitting on a dock on the bay sounded wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so peaceful and relaxing. I'm glad you are loving your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't live near a large body of water, but I know how peaceful it is from childhood memories of summers on the lake, to sit and watch the tides roll in and out, all day.

    <a href="https://njmagas.wordpress.com/“>N J Magas, author</a>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen - lovely place to live and I do so love that song ... and just to have the peace by the lake ... a special place ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks beautiful. Like you I don't think I could imagine living anywhere by beside the sea.

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete