Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Slim Within: 4 Rules of Eating for Permanent Weight Loss

My new book is scheduled to come out next month, a project I've been fairly quiet about until now. It's a self-help memoir and truthfully, up until a few months ago, I wasn't sure if I'd finish it. I think it's the hardest thing I've ever written, because  it's so personal as a memoir must be. It was painful revisiting things in my past I thought were over and done with.

It's a completely different genre from anything else I've written. What is it about me that I can't stick to a single genre? Well, the truth is, I write what I want to write, what I feel passionate about. I couldn't spend nearly two years on a manuscript otherwise. As difficult as this was to write, it's still a topic I feel passionate about.

And now, the info on Slim Within: 4 Rules of Eating for Permanent Weight Loss---



Getting into diet addiction at a young age, Karen Jones Gowen spent a lifetime trying to get over it. Losing weight wasn’t enough; she wanted to achieve and maintain a healthy size without diets, grueling workouts or strict weight control plans. She wanted to discover the secret to eating normally, instead of like someone who was either on or off a diet.
In this self-help memoir, Gowen relates her own story with detailed authenticity. She shares the plan she developed over many  years and with much trial and error.  A plan that enabled her to lose 80 pounds and keep it off: the Slim Within program, with its simple 4 Rules of Eating.
The final section of the book guides readers into understanding and implementing their own best way to lose weight by following this method of natural, appetite-centered eating.
Utilizing Slim Within, it’s possible to overcome a lifetime of diet addiction, or obesity, or any type of eating disorder and at last find peace with food, weight and body image. To become slim permanently, not just on the outside where it shows but inside where it counts.
Slim Within is available on the publisher's website for pre-order of print copies here. 
And I should have electronic ARCs in a few weeks for anyone who is interested in reading for review purposes. Let me know if you'd like an ARC and I'll see that you get one, as long as I have your email.
I set up a Facebook page, Slim Within Workshops, for up to date information about the book as well as inspirational tidbits. If you want an ARC you can contact me there as well.

15 comments:

  1. Good for you, Karen! Congrats on the upcoming release and for staying true to yourself. I really like the Facebook page idea. I'm sure that will help a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, seems like you wrote the book you suggested I write after you read my memoir. Ha ha. Good for you. Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, that's funny! I don't even remember that but clearly the ideas have been in my head for a really long time. I was finally ready to write about it.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations. It must have been tough to write and, like you say, reliving past events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, Karen! All the power to you, my dear. It took me 23 years after the twins' birth [my youngest] to finally shed the baby weight from bearing all five children. Always a pleasure reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on ya! Love that you hop genres. Me too and no need to excuse it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful!

    A healthy lifestyle and weight is a lifetime and lifestyle commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!! This is great news for you and quite the accomplishment in more ways than one. You have written a book which will help many people and you are a beacon for many people who suffer from weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Karen! You are something special my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen - that's such good news .. and we need to write with knowledge and passion ... so pleased you're expanding your wings with the book, and then other aspects ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you, Karen - and the best of luck with this. Memoirs are hard - so I home you feel wonderfully smug now you've done it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never realized you once had a weight problem. I guess I've always seen you t your perfect weight.

    That in itself is a great testimonial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It takes an awful lot of courage to write a memoir, so congratulations for following through with it. Better yet, it sounds like your book will be able to help other people who have been struggling with the same problem. I wish you much success with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm amazed at what you've achieved - and your courage in posting and writing the before and after. Excellent!

    I'm intrigued, and also currently in a calm place where I could read and review your book for you, if you'd like to send me an ARC.

    ReplyDelete