Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

“Reading and writing are acts of empathy and faith. Guard that trust carefully — in this rapidly changing business, it’s the only sure thing.” ~Erin Keane
"Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in." ~ Louise Brown

"Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it."
~Jesse Stuart

"A writer's job is to take one thing and make it stand for twenty." ~ Virginia Woolf

Friday, June 10, 2016

Addicted to Netflix

Every evening after a long day of whatever I get all excited for one thing: the next 2 hours of Netflix. So much to choose from! No commercials! English or Spanish? Comedy or Drama? Film or TV series? British or US or novella from Spain?

Forget reading a book. My eyes are strained from looking at words much of the day. I want my stories mainlined into my brain via Netflix.

Image result for king edward viii and wallis simpson
Last night we watched W.E., the movie about the "romance of the century" between King Edward and Wallis Simpson. It inspired us to research further into this tale and see if it really was a romance. What was the real story behind the story?

See how my Netflix addiction adds to my body of knowledge of history and the world?

Then we end our evening with something soothing, like Animal Fight Club, where we can see a variety of animals battling to the death with their opponents of the same species, usually over food or mating rights.

What interesting things have you been watching on Netflix lately? Any suggestions???


20 comments:

  1. I watch some movies and a lot of shows on NetFlix. Then I can binge watch a whole season in a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember the last thing I watched on Netflix, but one of my favorites there is The Keys of the Kingdom with Gregory Peck. You might enjoy it. It's about a priest's life as a missionary in China.

    We've been binge watching on YouTube lately, watching a series on Farms in Britain through the centuries. I blogged about it a few days ago. We've loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, that sounds just like something my husband and I would enjoy. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. I watch the cheesiest things on Netflix - The Decoy Bride with David Tennant was my last thing... Um, in fact, it's been my last three things... *shakes head at myself*

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are sadly behind the times. We have never watched ANYTHING on Netflix. Most evenings, I'd rather read a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sad thing about my Netflix use is how repetitive it is. I tend to watch my favorite shows over and over and over. My husband and I do binge watch Supernatural, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're enjoying Netflix, Karen. I haven't got it yet (it only just arrived legally in Oz in the past few months). I have plans to instal it soon, but I can't see it taking the place of reading. We'll see...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Netflix is great. That's where Jen and I got hooked on Elementary, the latest Sherlock Holmes set in New York City, his sidekick Joan Watson. We paid for season 4 on Amazon, so now I'm getting Jen to bed so we can watch another episode. SO addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've been watching "The West Wing" the past week. We didn't have a TV for years while the kids were growing up, so there are a lot of things we're catching up on now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen - my move is making me get a dish ... so I'll have access to more channels - but can't say I watch masses ... and sometimes I can't get hooked onto series ... takes too much time. But sounds like it's giving you ideas - I guess Edward's love for Wallis was overwhelming for him .. or he was terrified about being King - and she was very enticing ... I'm glad he did abdicate - in the circumstances.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I'm convinced his abdication was best in the long run as well, especially for the world. Not sure about the outcome of the War otherwise.

      Delete
  10. When a friend recommended the series Broadchurch, I discovered the Joy of Netflixing. While my friend had to wait a week between instalments, and insisted I do the same, (I guess friend thought this was "savoring") DH and I watched two episodes a night. We completed the two seasons in a couple of weeks, and we still got the page-turning effect, waiting for the next night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirka, Broadchurch was one we binge-watched, then were disappointed there were only 2 seasons!

      Delete
  11. Hi Karen, That is the first time I have heard the relationship between King Edward and Wallis Simpson described as The Romance Of The Century. It must have been very powerful though to make him abdicate. I have often wondered how the course of our monarchy might have run had George not taken the crown.

    I have been watching some Nature You Tubes lately and found a very interesting and very powerful account of a six male lion coalition and how they dominated a large territory for many years . . . .

    Here is the URL ~ I recommend it but it is a bit gory, such is the cruelty of nature.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JL7JapxNNo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only watch a couple of movies each week, but I'd like to watch more. If only I had more time for everything I wanted to do. Haven't gotten into binge watching TV shows yet--too much of an investment for me. This past weekend we watched Sicario and The Revenant--both were pretty good.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been watching mostly Hulu these days. I just have SUCH a hard time finding something to watch on Netflix. It's probably just my own weird tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Netlfix (just posted recently about my favorite TV shows). I sometimes binge-watch while eating ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since finally graduating from UIUC (May) I have only my own self set deadlines for writing. So yes, I do Netflix especially in the evening. The Irish movie "Run and Jump" is a real jewel and "The Boy in Striped Pajamas" is a heartbreaker. Both well worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Relate to this! Jen and I - mostly I - are addicted to the Sherlock Holmes Elementary but now have to wait 'til November for the next season :( But Life has now taken over; we watched 3 episodes yesterday. LOVE Netflix. Jen loves a lot on HULU. And FEELN also.

    ReplyDelete