Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Undercurrents of the Book Launch

Launching a book is comparable to launching a ship out on the open sea. Who knows what will happen out there on the great big blue ocean?

With every book launch, the undercurrents are there, positive or negative or some of both.

There can be undercurrents of jealousy how come her books sell better than mine
Of bitterness if only my publisher had done a better job with the cover or with marketing or with title choice
Of high hopes when Oprah calls....
Of despair nobody will buy it and if they do won't read it and if they do will hate it
Of  pure joy I'm published I'm published I'm published
Of doubt should I have gone with this publisher, should I have self-published, should I do more with my blog, should I be active on Kindle Forums
Of confusion I want my book to be successful but don't know what to do next
Of satisfaction this book is awesome and I can't wait to write another

There are many shifting and varied undercurrents that carry a book out into the wide open sea, where anything can happen.

Just remember as you're riding those currents to enjoy the journey!

19 comments:

  1. Oh I love sharing the undercurrents of pure joy and satisfaction of all you wonderful writers launching your books!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because the journey is the destination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fasten your seat belt... Then ENJOY the bumpy ride."
    What Bette Davis didn't say

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sooooo right. It can be a wonderful exciting journey... Very best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post. Each time a book of mine hits the "shelves" I'm a nervous wreck, but I'm also excited and optimistic. Lots of currents in this launching business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a funny feeling I'd probably hop from current to current from one moment to the next. Could make for an emotional ride for all in a two mile radius :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I can't wait to find out how that current feels. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do have some control though, in how much sail we let out or how tightly we hold the tiller...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading a lot about book promotion lately. It's exciting, yet nerve-racking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sound like undercurrents accompanied by very exciting ones, though!


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really good post. The mixed emotions are like being on rough waters. Exciting, scary... and everything in between.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. It gives you something to think about past writing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never launched a book before (but hopefully I will someday), but I can relate to the feeling of jealousy. I know someone who always makes a point of asking me what I've accomplished in my work, right before she tells me how much she's accomplished in her own work and how her work comes so much more easily to her than mine does. It feels like a competition, and it feels like she wants to keep making sure that I'm losing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by to say hello. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen .. it must be challenging - but now we can all feel everyone else's process, and perhaps we can expect more now - i.e. be aware that our book may take time .. and not expect that instant success ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah - Looking forward to some of those at least next year when my fantasy novel is published ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm horrible because even the thought of the negative undercurrents are what hold me back from even trying. Thanks for your blog, and your posts during the A to Z Challenge. You are so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in the process of setting my launch up. I feel shy when asking for help promoting. I wonder if that is more to do with nerves about getting my baby out there, and the negatives that might come my way!

    ReplyDelete