Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Good Morning from Veracruz

 Finishing my last book gave me the freedom to blog again. 

It was a tough book to write, taking ten years. Other things of higher priority came first. I thought maybe I should at least try blogging but decided not to. It's the only form of social media that can get addictive for me, and I have to guard against that. The book had to come first.

I am back at work on another book, but that's okay. I can still blog because I'm in a regular work routine and have been for a couple years now.

I do random other social media but don't find it as fun or interesting as blogging for some reason. Actually, I do know the reasons but they're boring so why go into them. Instead, I'll share a couple recent photos from an early morning walk. Veracruz is on the Eastern shore of Mexico and is lovely in the mornings. The second one may look like a sunset but no, it is the sunrise. 

Seeing the sunrise in the morning always feels special to me, because it's a rare opportunity to actually be awake and present at the right time and place for a significant event. 

To see it actually pop up from the horizon as it seems to do is remarkable.  (This picture does not do it justice.) You must wait patiently, eyes focused on the horizon where there's light with its play of colors but no sun yet. Turn away for a second and you miss the moment when it appears. 

First comes an even more glorious display of light as the top of the sun peeks out. Then the full circle follows, quickly it seems, and you can't stare any longer for the brightness. It is the sun after all, although after watching it wake up step by step, you feel like you're now friends and you should be able to look at it directly. 

Have you ever seen a full eclipse of the sun? To witness Emperor Sun completely covered by tiny, reclusive Queen Moon is more astounding than I ever supposed it would be. Unthinkable that our Sun can get blocked out like that, even for a brief moment. You see it but can hardly believe it. And then it passes, leaving you with the sense that something extremely meaningful just happened.

My next book is about the summer my son and I traveled to Chile for the full eclipse in June 2019. Afterward, we bussed north to Peru where we lingered for over two months. That was the year I wanted to walk the earth. Those plans were of course cut short by the pandemic six months later.  

There's a full eclipse crossing northern Mexico in April of this year. I haven't decided yet if I'll travel north to see it or not. That's how far I've come from wanting to walk the earth.



14 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! It's wonderful to hear from you. Glad you got that book out of the way after working on it for so long.

    My father-in-law lives in Arkansas and that eclipse will pass directly over his town. He said there are no hotel rooms available for 100 miles. Tempting to visit him during that time, but decided to wait until later in the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of visiting my son in Texas then but it didn't work out. If I go see it in Mexico, that will be my third full eclipse.

      Delete
  2. Hey Karen! Long time. Yes, blogging is still the best.
    I'm a homebody but I'm definitely glad we are free to move about the globe again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I think you were the first one to ever comment or follow me when I started this blog 10+ years ago. Hard to believe we're both still at it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen! Welcome back! I get up a couple of times a year to watch the sunrise and when I do, it always touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing! Woot!

    Beautiful photos. So serene. The only full eclipse I remember seeing was when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen - now I know where Vercruz is ... good for you to be back to blogging - hope to see you around ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so nice to read these words and know your thoughts, your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen! It's great to hear from you. I understand Veracruz is beautiful. One of my friends grew up there. Your sunrise pics are lovely. Enjoy the eclipse if you get to view it. I'm not a fan. The changing light make me feel really weird. I'll probably go to the garage with the door closed and read until it passes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you are blogging again!! Having recently visited you in Vera Cruz it was fun to read this although I never got up early enough for a sunrise 🫣
    And I’ve never seen a full eclipse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, next time you come we have to get up early enough to catch the sunrise over the water!

      Delete
  9. I will enjoy reading your blogs! Your pictures are spectacular! Continue to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I've been meaning to comment on here for weeks, but Blogger has been glitchy all that time. Love your photos <3

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!