Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Friday, April 5, 2024

Eclipse Travelers: Stories from A to Z

The departure from Salt Lake was delayed nearly two hours. Instead of boarding at 9:45 pm as stated, we sat around at the gate with no information except for “Delayed, waiting for the plane, just wait here.” 

It seemed we were all going for the same reason. One retired couple planned to stay over and get residency in Chile. The other eclipse travelers were only staying five to ten days. They seemed jealous of Forrest and me and our three months. 

“Lucky!” they said. There was a camaraderie among those of us at the gate, perhaps since there were so few of us and we were Americans going for the eclipse. 

Forrest participated in his friendly but laid-back way. I said very little, still dealing with my grief issues that exhibited themselves as extreme reserve and introversion around people outside my family. I could not seem to engage normally with people anymore. 

We all got so tired of waiting

Around eleven, a crowd of other passengers showed up from somewhere, and finally we were allowed to board. Next stop, Atlanta, then overnight to Santiago. 

In Atlanta we had plenty of time before having to board. Since Forrest and I were tired of sitting, he suggested walking to our terminal instead of taking the shuttle like everyone else. 

It was a long walk in what felt like the bowels of a deserted airport. I would never have tried it on my own, fearing the isolation or afraid of getting lost. With Forrest in charge, it was nice. The exercise felt good, and he never loses his way. He is like his dad that way, with a built-in GPS system.

Our plane was a grand one with its four rows across. A sanitized blanket in plastic was on each seat, topped with a packet containing an eye mask and earphones. Passengers seemed jubilant and celebratory. 

Forrest chatted with a young man behind him who was from Chile. He spoke excellent English and had been asking people around him why they were headed to Santiago. He was amazed by how many were going all the way to his country for the eclipse. 

Finally, as the cabin lights dimmed after takeoff, everyone settled down. The flight attendants served food, a sandwich, a drink, a little packet of crackers and cheese, and pudding in a plastic cup. In the early morning, they came by with a breakfast meal.

I was delighted by the food, the eye mask and our location on the side aisle. We had the window and aisle seats, no middle seat like the two rows in the center. I felt blissfully free and deep down happy. 

Forrest slept through most of the flight while I watched movies, sleeping only when I could no longer hold my head up. This beautiful plane could have flown for an additional eight hours, and I would not have minded.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you felt so much happiness at that time. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This up coming one seems to be getting a lot of attention! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, they always make me a little nervous. Too many horror movies, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a very nervous flyer, so I'm envious of the tranquility you felt on the flight! I flew a few weeks ago and we had to wait for our plane, and then when it DID land, there was a further delay which we found out was because the pilot of the new flight crew that was to take us refused to fly it because THERE WAS A HOLE IN IT. It had been "fixed" but he didn't approve of the fix. We were at DFW and had to go to a different terminal and take a different plane. I guess we were lucky they had an extra plane just sitting around that we could use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an incredibly frightening scenario, especially not helpful for a nervous flyer.

      Delete
  5. This is an intriguing story. I like the way it is gradually unfolding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It continues to unfold each day of April. A good idea? I' m not sure, but it was what I wanted to do for the A to Z Challenge.

      Delete
  6. This is Birgit. I will be in the epicentre on Monday..Niagara Falls, On. And am figuring out a way to get there via backroads. I enjoyed your story and how blissfully you could sleep on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super exciting, Birgit, wish I could view the eclipse tomorrow. I hope you post about your experience.

      Delete
    2. Super exciting, Birgit, wish I could view the eclipse tomorrow. I hope you post about your experience.

      Delete
    3. This is Birgit…I was working and talking with a client as it got really dark out. Funny, it seemed to take a long time to get dark but only a minute or 2 to get back to daylight.

      Delete
  7. I've progressed past nervous flyer to the won't get on a plane but I am going to have to fly if I ever want to see a total eclipse again. I can't wait to read more about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!