Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Thursday, July 11, 2024

Guilty or Not Guilty?

 I have a lovely sister who is my best friend, close in age but as different in personality as two people can be. 

Karen and Jeri (on the right)

She feels guilty for all kinds of things, but I hardly ever do. Unless I do something rude or stupid or mean, then I feel bad and will apologize. But my sister Jeri feels guilty about the strangest things, like reading a book instead of cleaning out a closet. Or skipping a party or event when she is tired.

Jeri has a blog where she posts her poems, and recently she added this one about guilt. Her blog is here if anyone wants to check it out. It is called The Rhythm of Life. 

I'm curious where people stand on the topic of guilt. Are you one who suffers under feelings of guilt even when you've done nothing wrong, like my sister in her poem? 

And what do you think causes this anyway? Why does one person second guess every decision and feel bad when she makes one choice over another? And another (me, for example) goes her own way guiltlessly content with how she chooses to spend her time and resources? 

It is something my sister and I have always puzzled over.

Guilt poem by Jeri Franz

Guilt for sin only, my husband will say.

I laugh and reply, you don’t understand my way!

I feel guilt when I leave grandkids or a place too soon

And guilt when I take too long looking at the moon!


I feel guilty for spending too much time at one child’s place

Thinking I should be with that other one, like it’s some kind of race.

And to take a day and do just what I would like to do?

With no kind of chatter or shoulds blocking my happy view?


Oh my, I can’t imagine but I think that sounds divine!

So one day a week I’ll accept no guilt and I'll feel just fine! 

When I’m shopping at Goodwill or wandering in a store

Instead of chiding myself I will smile and browse a little more.

If I take too long reading or stay a while more on the couch

I’ll smile and accept myself for I am happy instead of a grouch! 


For in this world, the days we are here seem to quickly flee

And I don’t want to waste any more days pitching guilt at me!! 

So at least one day a week and who knows maybe more??

I’ll enjoy each place my feet are, for feeling guilt is such a chore!! 


14 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Karen!!’ I need to read my poem every day because I’m pretty sure that wasn’t my last guilt free day!! Surely there are more like me out there!! And crazy that you and I are so different!! I love you my dear sister!! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel guilt. Lots of it. And if I knew where my guilt button lived I would disconnect it. Permanently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "if I knew where my guilt button lived I would disconnect it"-- well said! So would my sister. But I am delighted by the imagery of a guilt button.

      Delete
  3. Guilt is my soulmate and we have an unhappy truce with each other. I'm practising ignoring it, but it's difficult:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jabblog, then you are definitely on my sister's side of things. It took awhile for me to see your comment. For some reason it had been filed as spam. Glad I found it!

      Delete
  4. Ah, guilt and worry. My mother worried about everything. I am glad your sister is working on having one guilt-free day a week and finds it enjoyable enough to shoot for two, maybe even three days per week. And maybe she can relabel her feelings from guilt to something like excessive caring. Great poem, great sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, this is brilliant, to call it excessive caring instead of guilt. I love it!

      Delete
  5. I'm closer to your sister than to you. I feel guilty if I spend an afternoon in my back yard watching birds and reading blogs. I feel guilty if my husband wants to take a walk and I feel tired. I could try one guilt free day a week. That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen - what an interesting post ... I do feel guilt and try to do what's right whenever - but I know I don't, and can be selfish at times: it's life ... at least I hope it is! what a great poem and together with your post rings true for thought! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guilt's only good function is to make one do better. The rest has a paralyzing effect. I honestly think (from my not so short life experience) that some people have inborn propensity to penitence, and guilt becomes their driver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. generally no guilt, but often blamed for things I didn't do by Mrs. Cranky. "Well I didn't do it so it has to be you!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful poem and interesting thoughts about guilt. I need to chew on all of this some more.
    Thanks for your comments on my blog. I so appreciate them. Life does go on and I plan to be on it for the long haul. Of course it will only be my hand in His...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really feel guilty for much but I have a personality disorder and don't feel emotions as strongly as others might.

    My internet is finally fixed. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!