Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Saturday, August 10, 2024

What to do when you don't want to do anything

 We all have those days. Lately I've had too many of them. What does one do when productivity seems to flee and you don't feel like chasing it down? 

My recent time-waster has been watching reality cooking shows. I was really into Guy's Grocery Games with Guy Fieri, who I think is so cute and charming, a bigger than life personality. He often brings his family into his shows, which I admire. He and his wife have been married over 20 years and they have two sons who Guy is obviously quite proud of. The oldest, Hunter, has gone to college and joined his dad in his media/food business.

I was watching episodes of Guy's Grocery Games every evening on HBO Max until they found out I was in Mexico using a VPN. What the heck? That's the point of a VPN. It hides your location so you can watch shows broadcast to the US when you're in Mexico. Well, it didn't work anymore and HBO Max diverted me from the US service to the Mexico Max service. No more Guy's Grocery Games.

Fine then. On Mexico HBO Max I got into Chopped, another reality cooking show similar to Guy's, where chef contestants have to compete against each other while cooking weird things according to the game rules. Chopped is a long-running show of many seasons and episodes, except that only a few seasons are streamed to Mexico Max. 

When I ran out of Chopped episodes, I found a few interesting cooking contests hosted by Gordon Ramsey, who is also cute and charming, as long as his swearing is bleeped out. So lately it's been Master Chef with Gordon Ramsey. Unfortunately, it also streams only a few episodes to Mexico.

I'm not sure what my obsession is with reality cooking shows but they sure help to pass the time. In only a few weeks, I move back to America where I won't need a VPN and I can watch whatever the heck I want. But then I won't need to fill the empty hours because I will be near my family where there's always something going on of greater interest than TV.

I came to Mexico in 2020 on what was meant to be a three- month retreat in a tropical climate near the beach. For reasons too numerous to explain, it turned into my home for four years. And now I am leaving, more than ready to go, and simply filling the time until these few weeks pass when I get on that plane to Salt Lake. 

I like to cook and eat while watching the cooking shows. This is my stacked salad topped with spicy beans and honey mustard dressing.


23 comments:

  1. There are so many reality shows - cooking, decorating, decluttering, folding, moving to another country, marrying someone you've never met before - one could spend all day watching other people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True and rather embarrassing to admit that I have gotten sucked into it.

      Delete
  2. I don't like to cook but love to watch cooking/baking shows. Guy's has been a favorite as well as Chopped. Master Chef and Master Chef Jr as well as Cupcake Wars and British Baking shows, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I love you! I do have to stay away from the baking shows because eating cake is my greatest weakness.

      Delete
  3. We watch a LOT of cooking reality shows too. Not tempted to try and recreate the dishes though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried to recreate anything either. I like to cook simply, but I can admire the skill of others. And I can dream about tasting their masterpieces!

      Delete
  4. Four years there wow wow. That is quite the extended stay. Here's to getting home and watching whatever you fancy.

    Do you like The Halloween Baking Championship and/or The Holiday Baking Championship? I love those two. I also like Cupcake Wars. All on Max here. Not sure there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy whisk, I think Cupcake Wars is available to me. I will give it a try!

      Delete
    2. Very cool. It's an oldie yet I still enjoy it. Though I never understand why not more time in the first round. Cakes need to cool. That part confuses me. I enjoy the show, though.

      Delete
  5. We bought a temporary starter home in 1987 and guess what, we are still living in it (with some remodels). It's funny how just a few months can stretch into years and even decades. Cooking competition shows - we all loved the original Iron Chef shows (the ones from Japan that Food Network showed with English commentary). I also got into the Great British Baking Show for a few seasons. It was never the same for me after Mary Berry left. I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, I thought I would live here longer than I did. I was lucky enough to get into my dream house ten minutes from the beach. If I had some family here, I would probably not be leaving.

      Delete
  6. We watch shows like Bar Rescue.
    Crappy they were able to detect you and kick you off the American Max.
    Hope all goes well with the move home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back before cable I used to watch the cooking shows. Not so much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen - gosh you're going home ... you've had a good experience down in Mexico. We're lucky to have the tv to entertain us ... I've been enjoying the Olympics ... and appreciate the educative tv shows. Good luck and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet it's both exciting and a little bittersweet to leave Mexico.

    I don't watch cooking shows, but I am all about the cookbooks and cooking tips now as it's my new hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm sure once I'm well away there will be a lot that I miss. But for now, I'm just so ready to leave that I can hardly stand it. Thus the seeking distractions through reality cooking shows.

      Delete
  10. I get it, I've been food show addicted as well! Not so much lately! My absolute favorite was the original "Iron Chef" from Japan...some of the most (to my toddler palate) disgusting menus ever!
    Just kidding with the (!'s)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered why you had so many exclamation points on your comment, because it's absolutely not the writing style on your posts haha, made me smile!

      Delete
  11. I go through phases where I get a lot less done than I'd like, and yes, I probably stream way too much. My obsession is baking shows, though I rarely bake in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No tv for me since moving back to Hawaii in 2004. DVD movies were my addiction for a couple of years. Books, on kindle and in print, take up my spare time now. Good luck with your next move. I just finished the section of "We Burned Our Boats" where you finally found a new home. Quite an experience. I've moved often but never out of the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, thanks for telling me you're reading my book--that's news I always love to hear. I hope you enjoy it! I used to have a collection of DVD's I watched over and over, but then streaming took over, I gave away my collection to someone and now I can't find my favorites anywhere when I want to watch them. Green Card, for instance. One of my all time favorite movies with an incredible score and wonderful cinematography, and I can't find it streaming anywhere.

      Delete
    2. for whatever reason, my firewall won't let me go to the comments, but reply doesn't get blocked, so I am piggy backing.

      The idea of a vacation turning into four years at the beach is an intriguing story. One day, maybe you'll put the story in a memoir.

      Delete
  13. You were always a cook, Karen. So, your interest in cooking shows seems organic. However, "...don't want to do anything" sound a bit like depression. Hope I'm wrong. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!