And then there's the soothing sounds of the refrigerator clicking on and off. A few other random fan sounds, the wind outside, and very rarely a car goes by.
Here's what I do not hear:
- Phone ringing
- doors slamming
- doorbell chiming
- people talking inside the house
- children playing (yelling) outside the house
- timers going off
- anyone telling me they're hungry
- anyone asking me what's to eat
- the washer and/or drier spinning around and round
This list, not to mention a few I might have missed (like dogs barking), clearly shows why I have to stay up in the wee hours to write. Unless anyone has any better ideas, here I sit. Pretty soon the family will wake up, and it will be my turn to go to sleep for a few hours.
As my husband says, "Here she comes in from the night shift, ready to go to bed."
When is your prime time for writing? And if any of you can write in the midst of chaos, please give me some how-to tips, because I just can't seem to pull it off.