Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Monday, June 24, 2024

Malfunctioning Blog List

 I should never have deleted my Blog List. I could have edited and updated it without deleting and starting over, I'm sure, and that's what I wish I had done. Because although everything on the gadget looks like it should work, it's not working. The list doesn't update itself according to new posts. It doesn't show the titles and snippets of the most recent post. It's only a list of blogs I follow with a quick link to their blog.

I've taken it off and added it back numerous times to see if that helps, but it never comes back like it used to, with the functionality working as it's meant to work. Where you can see the blogs you follow automatically updated according to their latest post. I've tweaked it every way I can think of, but still get nothing but the links. No snippets, no automatic updates.

This is a small and simple thing that's causing me way more frustration than it should. If anyone knows a way to fix that gadget I'd love to hear your ideas. And if anyone is tempted to remove yours and reinstall to update it, DON'T. 

16 comments:

  1. I won't remove mine. I don't know about showing the latest post but the list used to show the photo of the latest post in the sidebar.
    I follow most through Feedly Reader, but sometimes it won't add a new feed. (Wants me to subscribe - heck with that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made any changes to my blog in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger delights in messing with our mind. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the heads up. I haven't updated my theme, etc. in several years and I have no desire to do it. Sadly, I'm the last person you want to call on for tech help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen - I don't use the blog-list ... that daunts me ... I used Google Reader, and now Feedly ... but that drops things and does 'funnies' ... I just catch up with blogging friends when I can. About 14 years ago when the Challenge was going on with lots of entrants ... and blogger messed up life - I made a list ... but that's long gone. I don't know - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I've been using Google Reader which is okay but not as efficient as the Blog List feature. I could kick myself for deleting that gadget and thinking it would work the same when I try and reinstall.

      Delete
  6. Like Mary Kirkland, I never touched my original settings on Blogger. This is more because I'm somewhat Technophobic despite designing my own simple website and my blogger with no outside help.
    I started my blog at your suggestion way back when, and to my surprise I discovered that I like the discipline of weekly postings. The only "changes" I ever made was to delete "dead blogs" after many years of silence on their part. Glad I kept yours, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I belong to a Facebook group that helps with technical matters on Blogger. Sadly for me, most of their concerns and fixes are very techie and not relevant for my needs. Years back, the moderator did help me with an issue when Blogger stopped notifying me via email of comments (I require moderation) and solved the issue. Maybe this group is what you need? Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BloggersonBloggerSupport

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirka. I will definitely check that out. I also asked the question on Blogger Community Support and someone's been giving me things to do. So far none of it has helped solve the issue. I'm glad you kept me on your list as well!

      Delete
  8. I wish I could be of help, but beyond the very basics I'm not very competent with fixes to the blog. Glad to see your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy ending to this story! The Blogger Community person who was helping me came up with the fix, although it took these 2 days to work through the solution. My Blog List is now updated according to snippets and most recent posts. I'll keep adding those who I engage with until I have a nice lovely Blog List of all my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray and cheers to all problem solvers!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!