Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Friday, June 21, 2024

The Shabby Corner Hotel

 Working on my South America manuscript, I found myself editing it in sections for blog posts like I did for the A to Z Challenge. Well, why not go with it? So, this continues my South America stories where they ended on April 30.  

They'll show up now and then rather than daily like in April. As before, my intent is to make each one complete in itself whether read from the beginning post or coming to it for the first time. This manuscript has yet to have a title or an ending. But you'll find a story woven through these experiences of my son Forrest and me during our three months in Chile and Peru. I hope you enjoy it.

A couple days before we left Estancia 107, I finally satisfied my curiosity about a nearby building on the corner. It looked like a large three-story house, gated with a small front garden. When I asked the hotel clerk at Estancia about it, she said it’s called Runcu. They allowed long-term guests for about 700 soles a month, the clerk said. That was only $200 a month!

Walking past a few days later, I saw a lady outside doing a bit of gardening. I greeted her and asked if she owned the building. A nicely dressed middle-aged woman who cares about the property and decides to pull a few random weeds. In other words, the owner.

When she responded in the affirmative, I asked if I could see a room. “I’m staying at Estancia 107 now, but I’d like to return to Arequipa next year for a few months,” I explained. 

I found her friendly and easy to talk to and we hit it off right away. She said, “We mostly rent to professional people who need to stay in the city for awhile.” 

“That’s perfect for me,” I replied, “because I want to enroll at the Spanish school and study.” 

She took me around to see the available rooms. They looked shabby but comfortable, what one might call “shabby chic.” Except that shabby was no longer chic, especially not in a hotel. Still, it was clean and quiet, obviously well-cared for by this pleasant lady and, at $200 a month, the price was right. 

“We are putting in a kitchen with laundry for guests as part of our remodel,” she said. “It should be ready next year when you want to come back.” 

I thanked her for the tour and asked how to contact her; she wrote down the hotel Facebook page and said to private message her.  When I returned to Arequipa, I wanted to stay at this charming but shabby big house. I knew from our conversation that any guests had to first meet with her approval. “Mostly professionals,” said it all. This was no hostel for backpacking millennials. 

It was August, 2019. I decided right then to come back in 2020 and study Spanish in Arequipa, lodging at the Runcu. I saw myself curled up in one of those big comfy armchairs in the bedrooms—I would want a room on the second or third floor—working on a book, like Hemingway during his expat days in Paris. 

Such were my dreams for 2020, a magical number that would surely bring magical events. I had big plans for 2020.

18 comments:

  1. My laptop antivirus ware won’t let me visit your website! So very annoying! $200 a month? I’d love to go stay in a place and write like Hemingway!
    Elizabeth Seckman, as anonymous 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by anyway, Elizabeth. There's something about my blog that puts up warnings. I'm unable to share my posts on Facebook because of "spam warnings." I've been here so long I don't want to delete it and start over. I don't know how to get around that so I guess I'll just have to put up with it.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow... You're leading such an adventurous life. My husband and son went to Peru to see Machu Picchu and had a fabulous adventure. Granted, my husband did come back with 'Montezuma's Revenge.' Now that I think about it, he and a good friend of ours came back last year from a trip to Tanzania and Dubai with COVID.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I'm so impressed with all the books you've written. Wow! I'm sorry but I do use exclamation points and lots of ....
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, the exclamation point is one of life's great joys!

      Delete
  4. Taking this journey with you via your blog posts is the perfect way for me to travel now. $200.00 a month rental even in 2019 sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail, after writing this post I checked on Runcu's Facebook page and pretty sure it's no longer $200 a month. They were in the midst of remodeling in 2019 and from the photos it looks like they finished and did a big facelift inside and out. I still want to go and stay there however.

      Delete
  5. If the room was clean I (probably) wouldn't care, especially for only $200 a month. I look forward to your further memories as I enjoyed your Blogging from A to Z posts so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alana! I'm glad you enjoyed my South America stories. The hotel was clean and well-cared for and the owner was so nice and easy to communicate with, despite my Spanish failings. It felt like we were instant friends. That and the price of course were the main draw.

      Delete
  6. We all had plans for 2020, but the world changed them everywhere... I can't wait to read if yours materialized as you intended or if, like many of us, you too did a U-turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did all have plans, didn't we, Mirka? I feel bad for those who lost loved ones or otherwise experienced tragedy due to Covid.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely encounter with the owner of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to live in a place for only $200 a month. Then I could use all the money I'd save on rent on things like travel. I remember in 2020 I had big plans too; I was going to travel, take cooking classes, join a new Meetup group, etc. I didn't get to do any of those things, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my comment, except for some reason it showed up as "anonymous"! Sorry about that!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Neurotic, I'm glad you let me know because I always wonder who the Anons are when they leave interesting comments. I hope you are feeling better and getting well.

      Delete
  9. Hi Karen - doing your memoir the A-Z way (in your own time frame) makes sense before deciding exactly how to present it. This hotel sounds ideal ... and wonderful you've met the owner ... it's fun following along with you. I also enjoyed your books ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I did not know that you read my books, so thank you! I'm enjoying writing these little stories for the blog and always glad to hear that people enjoy following along.

      Delete

Comments are welcome!