Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Thursday, June 13, 2024

No Such Place as Perfect

 I've been missing in action since April ended due to traveling and then guests. I arrived in Kansas City just in time to rush from the airport to the school and see these two on their last day. Kindergarten "graduation"-- missed the "ceremony" but got to surprise the graduate afterward. I don't think he expected to see me. Then we picked up his brother in first grade for a photo opportunity. Nonny who lives in Mexico hasn't been around much, unfortunately.


After two weeks in the States, I returned home to Veracruz and prepared for one of my sons and his family to visit. Here we are visiting Mandinga, a small fishing village north of Veracruz. This is one of the best pictures but unfortunately, my daughter in law isn't in it since she took the picture. Probably why it turned out so well. She's great with a camera.


I love the tropical climate and relaxed lifestyle where I live. It's only a few minutes from the beach and in an area with lots to see and do. Quite a few family members have come and stayed in my large house with me. When I leased it, it was with my family in mind. I'm so happy when they come and sad when they go. Travis's family was here last summer and loved visiting the taco stand across the street from my house.


I've been here nearly five years and even with flying back a couple times a year, I miss so much. I will miss Mexico when I move back to the States, no question about that. The ideal would be for all my family to move to Veracruz so I wouldn't have to leave. But that won't happen because jobs, money, mortgages, kids, schools, college, responsibilities. 

Me, I'm retired and can come and go as I please. I tend to chase the ideal so who knows where I'll land. But I always remind myself there's no such place as perfect. Only those oh so fleeting perfect moments, captured now and then with a camera. 


15 comments:

  1. There is a saying, "If Grandma had wheel's, she'd be a bus." I think you're a grandma with wings. I suppose this makes you a... plane? So busy travelling to and from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy - and from the sounds of it having fun. Hooray for retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good time of life if one can stay healthy.

      Delete
  3. Good health is prized above all things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the freedom to live there while you can. Most don't get such an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sounds like both visits were so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice both to go back to the States and also to share my beautiful area with family who comes for vacation.

      Delete
  6. That's wonderful you can share it with family. My stepsister retired and moved to Mexico with her husband Rufino and built their dream house there. They love it and are always posting photos of the delicious food there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexico is a prime destination for retirees. The climate, cost of living, beautiful scenery, lovely neighbors, and great food all make it very attractive.

      Delete
  7. This makes me think of my late mother in law's best friend, who is 92 now. She travels several times a year to see her daughter and grandchildren in California. This past spring she attended a family wedding in Cabo San Lucas. She loves that part of Mexico. It's just as you said - she is free to travel and see family members who can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, I hope I'm still able to travel around like this at 92. That's amazing.

      Delete
  8. Hi Karen - how true that is ... at least you can get around and get back to the States to see your huge family! Fun having them come and stay with you ... leasing a large place makes sense. If I've things to catch up on here - I'll be doing it soon ... trying to catch my tail too!! Lovely to see you with the tots!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary! I adore the tots and even when they grow into teens and young adults, they seem to still love their Nonny. I'm so glad of that. It's quite fun to watch how they take on life.

      Delete

Comments are welcome!