Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Music everywhere

There is music in the streets of Panajachel, especially during holidays like Christmas and Easter. Marching bands from the local schools will perform several times a week. Leading up to Christmas there were ma parties for the public with music on loud speakers.



There is always music on the chicken buses, broadcast over the radio

One can enjoy live music at night in the restaurants, or random groups that set up right in the street. Most of the music though is coming out of giant loudspeakers set up outside of stores or stalls, to attract customers or celebrate holidays.

We just finished Semana Santa, or Holy Week, the week leading up to Easter, and the town was filled with people and music. These beautiful designs were made on the main street, followed later by the processional on Good Friday.




We heard so much music during Semana Santa my husband and I had to move to a different bedroom without as many windows just so we could sleep. There was all kinds of music everywhere: North American pop hits in English, Central and South American pop hits in Spanish, Christian music and hymns in Spanish, instrumental groups, band music.

Music, music everywhere! Do you hear the beat?

9 comments:

  1. I happened upon your blog in the A to Z Challenge and I'm so glad I did. As I sit here typing I'm listening to Tina Turner's What's Love Got To Do With It? on the radio - my days too are punctuated by music! Sorry about the exclamation as you're a an "exclamation point addict in recovery". I hope I haven't tempted you to fall off the wagon. I nearly put another one at the end of that sentence but restrained myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you visit! I'm humming Music in the Streets

      Delete
  2. Celebration in your town sounds like true celebration! I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun but music all night long would keep me awake too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos!!!! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how they celebrate. They are so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a celebration they do there.Love the arts on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so wonderful and the art work! Is that done with chalk or a type of sand?? I love the vegetable look too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can practically hear the beat from this images. Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete